Gaeta, Italia.

My Graceful European Bow Out. 

Photo credit: Matt Lester. View from his apartment into the Bay.

It's that time. Only a few days until April 29th. Sayonara Europe day. Between Europe and Asia, I've seen so much. Experienced even more. And learned a ton more than that. All the countries and cultures I've experienced while being stationed in Gaeta, no matter how I write them on paper (iPad), cannot come close to how amazing they all have been... In their own separate ways. But this tour means nothing without homeport, and how great and significant it is to my heart.

Photo Credit: Matt Lester. That's Gaeta Vecchia, Castello & Monte Orlando.

I leave Gaeta bittersweet in my heart. Bitter because everywhere I go or look I'm struck with sadness of memories and experiences with old friends. Living somewhere you can't help but grow fond of things because of important people. But I leave Gaeta mainly sweet. If it was possible, I'd be a master at Italian (I know, I know.. You're reading this thinking... "Why aren't you?!"... Well life happens, it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!), make my Bazzanti family hire me as full time bake staff and stay there forever! Sadly, the Navy has other plans for me in San Diego. 

Photo Credit: Matt Lester. St. Francis' Church.

I did a rough count and only spent only 5 months actually here in Gaeta, well... Italy in general. It's a perfect little town. I've made friends in my neighborhood that always brighten my day even if a little bit when I see them. From Roberto at the best secret restaurant here, to Leon my awesome butcher. Leon and I exchange Christmas gifts... Cookies for a meat calendar this past year. I definitely think it's an excellent trade. To Gina the adorable lady I want to be my grandma at the vegetable stand. She taught me more Italian than anyone else, and always laughed at how terrible I am at it. Cipolla... Onion. My most used and asked word. Why could I never remember that?! Those wonderful ladies at Rondevous (Vous), they take care of you, make great food, and help get you drunk. The Dutch & how it welcomes you like family, while helping you get drunk. And of course, the Bazzanti Family & those I've met there. They make me feel like the BEST baker in the entire world, it's a confidence booster. 

**The word pizza was first documented in 997 AD in Gaeta**

Photo Credit: Megan Greenan. Serapo Beach. Always beautiful & crowded in the Summer.

More than that, Gaeta became home. I memorized the crazy times and days my favorite places are open. I cheer when Il Molo's is open for more than just one day and a few hours (BEST Gelato in Gaeta). And even when it's raining, my walk to and from work is the thing I look forward to most everyday.


Photo Credit: Matt Lester. The view to and from work. See why I LOVE it?!

Every where you turn in Gaeta, you can see history, art, and something beautiful. My Mom constantly raves about this little town and it's splendor. She knows her escape plan and how to get back here... "Fly to Rome, airport to Roma Termini, train to Formia-Gaeta, bus to Gaeta Vecchia... Walk to Stacey's."

I've put LOTS of pictures with this post so you can somewhat understand how wonderful this town is. If you ever make it to Italy, especially during the summer, do yourself a favor, experience Gaeta.

Ahhh.. I know it's been a HOT minute since I've posted anything. I'll start marking up for it.

Stay tuned for #totallywickedAyersroadtrip2016 (ugh, it's long. My Mom is gonna have to change that) coming this May.

Follow me @slayers30 on Instagram for more travels, adventures & updates on upcoming Road Trip!

As always, Stay tuned for more of my Sweet & Sour Life.

**Apparently, I lost a lot of photo's or just enjoyed my surroundings instead of photographing them. Thanks for the use of your pictures y'all! Follow @matthew_lesterr on Instagram for more on his travels too.**


These are just a few of the amazing pieces of Street Art around Gaeta. I read an article that I can't find the link to right now, that had Gaeta as one of the top 20 towns with amazing Street Art. Hands down agree.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here Goes Nothing

How Sweet It Is.

The Wine-O Club Triad.. & their Baking day